Monday, March 19, 2007

An Unreal World

I was walking Annie a few nights ago when suddenly everything felt very artificial. I looked over at a car in the parking lot and it looked like a toy. The tree beside me looked fake. The closer everything was the less real it looked. I looked at the sky (and not for the first time) felt as if it were really a ceiling. It was like there was some dome overhead and we were all confined. Sort of like some sick science experiment. My mind wandered to what would be controlling this "experiment" then it drifted off.

It's strange when you realize you have lied to yourself. It's extra strange when you realize you did it so well you thoroughly believed the lie.

I began to think about the causes of mental illness. It is not a psychological issue, it's a biological issue. So, logically, this changes how it should be dealt with. I'm reading An Unquiet Mind by Dr. Kay Redfield Jamison and I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about, or help understand, mental illness.

No comments: