Monday, November 27, 2006

Honorary Honors and Negativity

I mentioned quite a while ago about getting a free year subscription to Paste magazine. Well, in the latest issue there was an article about art house actors and directors. In the part about directors they stated that Sofia Coppola was the first woman nominated for Best Director at the Academy Awards. So I sent a correction to their e-mail address since I know Coppola was the third woman nominated for the award (Lina Wertmuller in 1977 and Jane Campion in 1994 came before Coppola's 2004 nomination). She was the first American woman nominated, though. Anyway, the Associate Editor sent me an e-mail today thanking me for catching it and said they'll run a correction in the next issue. And: "I hereby dub you an honorary Paste copy editor." Woohoo! An honorary position... Which basically means nothing, but hey, it's still fun and the useless trivia in my head came in handy! Journalism career here I come.

I saw a discussion about the Michael Richards fiasco (upgraded from "incident") on some morning show a couple of days ago. One of the anchors basically said the same thing I did about it all (which was good to hear). She said it sullied the whole situation that the hecklers would go for money after he has apologized and everything. Now, here's my thought. What more can he do? They're saying his apology isn't sincere and so on, but I think they'd cry that anyway. Richards can do nothing at this point to please them and the hecklers have dollar signs in their eyes now.

On a separate (but somewhat similar) note, I just want to make a quick comment about negativity. So many people are upset about everyone's negativity and how do they respond to it? With negativity. It's really counterproductive to respond to negative people with your own negativity. I'm the first to admit I'm not an outwardly positive person, but inside I am very positive and optimistic. I do my best to not respond directly to any person's negativity toward me. There are ways to handle it with class and address it in a way that doesn't make you look just as bad. Nobody is perfect, we all have bad days, but that's what apologies and forgiveness are for.

No comments: