Thursday, June 29, 2006

Back and Forth, Back and Forth

The last post here was the letter to the editor I was debating sending off to the local newspaper. The reason I was debating it was because they don't publish anonymous letters. I was a bit slow to sign my name to it since the people in this area get really emotional about this issue.

Posting it here on this blog, I've received a few responses to it (and I take people's responses seriously). Relatives and strangers alike have given their opinions and many seem to agree with the letter. And, so now I'm leaning more toward signing my name to it and sending it off.

The problem with signing it would be that I'd get a bit of a backlash from it. This is a small town and some people do know me. At the same time, the letter focuses around what I witnessed in the church I go to occasionally. So, I'd probably have to be cautious about going back to the church if the letter is published. I also face the risk of losing some people in my life.

I am proud of the letter and I took my time in writing it. I made sure to avoid certain things with the letter. I knew when I started writing it that I didn't want it to come off as angry, because no one takes a person who is ranting and raving seriously. Also, I made an effort to avoid certain words like "gay," "Jesus" and "church." The word "church" does appear once but in the terms of "separation of church and state."

So, I'll probably send this to the paper for consideration of publication. They may never publish it, and that's fine with me, but I feel it's somewhat necessary for me to do my part and give these words every chance to be out there in the world.

No comments: