Wednesday, May 31, 2006

New Poem

It's always interesting to sit down and write. It's amazing where the pen will take you. I did not sit down with the intent of writing the poem I ended up with. My goal was to write about love and the desperation of love. But, somewhere along the way, I guess I got sidetracked. As I have said before, the world is such a negative place, you can't help but be affected by it. Below, is my latest poem:

The years I have wasted are haunting me tonight
The pain I see is so daunting I cannot fight
I no longer have it in me to prove everybody wrong
They come to my door to save me, praise me
But my power to believe is gone
My words, are they important?
Does it even matter what I have to say?
Who the hell cares, no one’s listening anyway
And love has become so degraded by sex
This lustful craving for skin
It’s all about instant relief of the loneliness
So we fuck away our emptiness
We shame and kill the innocent for their opposite belief
A different god, a different priest
Then they must be the enemy
We point fingers to cast off the sin of ourselves
God forbid we admit our faults
And face our own hells
And these years I have wasted away
Can never be brought back
And I’ve made no difference at all
Past the ache of today to the newness of tomorrow
That’s what keeps me trudging on

No comments: