Friday, February 17, 2006

"Early Morning"

I wrote this late last night... or early this morning... or was it a couple of days ago? Okay, so I'm not exactly sure when I wrote this, but it's the newest thing to come from my brain. As always, I feel the need to say that I am not a great writer and I know this, so no criticisms needed. :)

Early Morning
(By Matthew David Ward)

You woke up, it was early, and you reached out to me
Awaking me from a distant dream of things I'll never again see
As you lit a cigarette you spoke words so profoundly laced with emotion
Meanings so deep and packed with underlying lies of past devotion
The feeling between us, that enmity, so thick I couldn't breathe
And all the disillusion fogged my eyes, I couldn't see
Down in the dark alley of my heart I choked back the words
Letting you speak your peace while I hid the hurt
Then as you stamped out that damn cigarette, a metaphor was so transparently clear
Off went the lamp and back into the night we did disappear

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

write something! LOL.

Matthew D. Ward said...

Yeah, I've been slacking off on my blog lately... My life has just been so regular and dull that there really isn't much to say. Today, however, has been a very, very sucky day... I'll probably post something later today, but don't hold me to that because I tend to lie a lot :)