Monday, January 29, 2007

Morals, Values, Integrity

I am no one to judge a person's morals, but I've been doing it more and more lately. I haven't been the most moral person in the world, but I do know the difference between what is right and wrong. I have a very strong conscience. But these people who seem to have absolutely no morals, values or integrity are truly disgusting to me. A lot of people seem to have very little that they actually care about. It makes me wonder what these people are living for. What is the purpose of their life?

There is this drive inside me to help people. I want to stand up for people. I want to fight for people. I want to make a difference. I want to be part of making a difference. If I ever had millions of dollars I would be doing the type of things that Oprah, Bill Gates, Rosie O'Donnell and several other millionaires/billionaires are doing: giving a lot of it away.

Celebrities are so obscenely overpaid it makes me sick. No one needs that much money. It's amazing, because there are people who could live their entire life, or several lives, off a single paycheck from someone like Julia Roberts, Jack Nicholson or George Clooney, just to name a few. They are part of the 20 million club. 20 million dollars for one movie. One. Sometimes not even a year's worth of work and they get a big 20 mil. Now, a lot of entertainers do donate money, which is great, but I know there are some that don't. What the hell are these people doing with that money?

It makes me wonder about these people who go out there and buy these massive homes and fancy cars and all the high tech gadgets. Even if I had that life I'd be living in a nice little house (a Victorian, I picture) with a red Jeep Cherokee in the garage. That's high living to me. Keep what you need and throw the rest at the people who need it.

I wandered off from my original point, but I guess it all ties in somehow. Anyway, I don't have high standards for people. I just think that people should have at least some firm values in their mind (know what is right, know what is wrong). It's not always only about you. We're all in it together. A quote from Thich Nhat Hahn says it best: "We are here to awaken from the illusion of our separateness."

No comments: