Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Genuine Kind of Good

I'm feeling good today. Genuinely good... Not that bullshit good that disappears in a few hours. See, here's what happened:

My friend Pam and I went to the Playhouse to watch a show. Actually, it was a short program with just a handful of people in the audience. An actor there had written some little skits and monologues and some of the other actors at the theater performed them. It was really cool. It actually inspired me to start writing again... After a very tedious writer's block.

Anyway, we sat down next to this woman we know and this woman had a friend with her. So we watch the show and get up to leave. Pam and the woman I knew walk off and I'm left standing there next to this woman. So, I do my cute little "Hi" smile. And then I wander over to Pam and say goodbye. I get home and I'm thinking and thinking... So I call Pam and ask about this woman. Turns out her name is Gretchen, but Pam wasn't sure of that at the time. I talk to Pam today and she said that Gretchen had come up to her and asked her about me! Completely unsolicited! I was shocked. Pam said to her, "Yeah, that's Matt, my buddy. He actually asked about you, too. And I told him you were married and had kids." To which Gretchen replied, "Yeah, that about covers it, doesn't it?" She said she was flattered by it because she felt she had been gaining weight and looked unattractive. Then she said that she, Pam and I should hang out sometime.

Okay. So... I'm feeling good because she asked about me. I mean, come on! This has never happened to me. No one has ever asked anyone about me. My self-esteem shot through the roof. She wasn't the only one who had felt unattractive and needed a compliment.

I feel good.

No comments: