Sunday, April 16, 2006

Poem Site

I've been telling myself for several years that I was going to put many of my poems up on a website. So, after putting it off as long as I could, I now have 54 of my poems and songs here: http://www.geocities.com/code1572. It's a very basic site since I don't really have the time to do all the fancy website stuff I'd like to. But, it serves its purpose.

While looking over some of these, I cringed. Some of them embarrass me horribly. And, then, some make me very proud. I have many, many more poems I decided not to include because they were just too awful. Don't get me wrong, there are awful poems included on the site, too, but many of them have a deeper meaning in my life. As for the really bad ones, they will just remain in my ever-growing binder... I can't bear to get rid of anything I write.

Another thing I noticed about the poems is the subject matter. Most are sad or tuned more toward the sad, but there are love poems, poems mourning the dead, poems about slavery, witch burning, murder, wedding anniversaries. I may not like my writing, but I like the fact I at least tried to break out of the same old crap now and then.

I'll end this one with a quote from Marcel Proust: "The true voyage of discoveries consists not of seeking new landscapes, but having new eyes."

No comments: