Friday, January 26, 2007

My Morning

It's not even noon yet and I'm tired. I went to bed around midnight and then woke up at four o'clock. Here's the thing: I was rolling over (semi-awake) and heard a voice saying something like "the light is out" but in a Swedish accent (don't laugh). So, I waited a while to see if I could hear it again or determine what it was. Then it happened again. It was very loud. It sounded like it was coming from inside the apartment or directly outside. It was a voice. So, I stayed still, heart pounding, and it happened again. Every 15 minutes or so. At this point, I'm not afraid. It must be something else, so I get up, put on underwear (don't ask) and head off to the living room. Nothing. Nothing at all. Then it was gone. No more voice. It was very strange.

I went back to bed, but the cat was determined to keep me awake. He was jumping around, knocking things to the floor and being a pain in the ass. (What can you expect from a cat whose unofficial name is "Bastard"?) Eventually I had to put him in the bathroom so he could calm down. I went back to lay down and then Annie, my border collie, started whining. It was time to go out.

We went walking and it turns out Annie has diarrhea from eating half a bag of cat food. (She used to eat the cat poop and kitty litter from the litter box, but I fixed that problem.) So she poops. And poops. And poops. And poops. And, finally, when it's all out of her system she stops to eat something on the ground. I try to stop her and she pulls away (meaning she knows she's in trouble and has to eat it fast). So my hand flies into her mouth, pulling it open to see what it is and if I can get it out. It's cat shit. This means that at some point during the day she will vomit.

Somehow during this mouth opening session I had cut my knuckle. So by the time we get back inside the apartment there is blood running down my index finger.

By then it was 9:31 a.m. I resigned myself to the fact I was going to have to go through the day with four hours of sleep. I watched the Colbert Report and the first half hour of the View.

Tonight I'm helping my aunt with the youth meal. Tomorrow it's an opening night at the Playhouse. Next week should be busy (an attempt to keep my mind off food). Back on the diet. Sweet starvation.

No comments: