Friday, May 19, 2006

I'm Okay, It's the World I Worry About

So much going on in the world right now. There's so much negativity it's hard to not be affected by it. You can feel it in the air. I've been kind of down lately. There is no reason for it, really. I'm just attributing it to the state of the world. It's such a depressing time.

Well, I'm off work for the weekend, which is good. I love days off. I've been cleaning around the apartment, trying to get this place in shape for later in the year (may be a surprise coming). Anyway, I've been keeping things that hold some small sentimental value. I don't need all this damn stuff. I have to keep in mind I have many years ahead of me and I can't just carry this massive load of physical memories. It's not the item that holds the memories, it's me. If I can keep that in my mind I'll be okay.

I just finished reading Black Notice by Patricia Cornwell. I liked it. I read a lot of her earlier books in the Dr. Kay Scarpetta series a few years ago, but Black Notice was so much darker than I remember the others being. It was exciting and it kept me guessing. Cornwell is a good writer. A realistic writer. Her character of Dr. Scarpetta is so real and believable. The next book I'll read? Maybe Derailed by James Siegel or The Last Precinct by Patricia Cornwell. I'd really like to dig into John Updike's The Witches of Eastwick, but I don't have the time to really focus my mind on it.

Well, I'll end this one with a quote from Reinhold Niebuhr: "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination toward injustice makes democracy necessary."

No comments: